Monday, September 3, 2012

Lots of Pictures

I have done a lot this week and it has been good to be able to help keep focused on what's going on here instead of constantly worrying about what is going on at home. On Wednesday the school had a celebration for something like national Filipino day, it was basically a celebration of their country and their culture. The kids were all dressed up and did all sorts of presentations with their classes like dancing, singing, story reenactment and poetry. It was amazing to see all of the school come together for something like that. The Filipino teachers had worked really hard for a while to teach the students the performances and they all did amazing, even the kindergarten classes.

My 2nd graders are crazy and had a ton of energy and excitement to try to control during the program.
                                                  Jules and Kristian, Jared in the back.

Toby and Reynald. The kids here never take pictures without weird hand signs. They wait until right before you take the picture and then throw them up.
My 2nd graders on stage getting ready to do their dance. I have videos of both of my classes but I haven't figured out how to get them small enough to put on here so hopefully I will have them up at some point.

On Thursday I went to the helicopter pad feeding site on Boracay. It is one of the poorest areas on the island and a lot of the kids aren't able to go to school. It was my first time at this site and it was crazy to see the amount of poverty. We went without the lady who typically runs the feeding site because she was sick, so one of the other missionaries who has a lot of experience at the site ran it. It was a little bit harder to do without a translator especially at this site because the English was very limited. We did songs and games and had coloring sheets for them.





At every feeding site before they eat we have them wash their hands and give them a vitamin.


The kids always enjoy the meal no matter what it is. We usually have some type of soup.
I have somehow become the doctor at the sites, which I am fine with and enjoy, just not sure how I got the job. This site was very hard because these kids had some very bad injuries. The biggest problem for them is that they don't keep them clean. Many of them had normal injuries but they got infected and became a lot more serious. There were also some more serious injuries though that definitely needed more than neosporin and a bandaid but they don't have the ability to get them treated. There was a boy who had a really bad cut on the top of his big toe that probably could have used stitches. The problem with cuts on their feet is that they will never stay clean. I washed it out with hydrogen peroxide to get it clean but once the band aid comes off in a day or so it is going to get filled with dirt again.



This little girl was begging me for a bandaid the entire time and searching all over to try to find a cut but she didnt have any. She finally won the battle and I gave in and put a bandaid on her ankle. It definitely made her day, but I figure it was an even trade because she definitely made my day too.
This boy had his fingernail barely hanging on. I did my best to try to treat it and get it clean but it was a pretty brutal injury.


On Friday I went to the Ati village feeding that I go to every Friday. I love going to the village and have started to get to know so many of the kids and I love getting to be able to play with them and get to know them better. They are such awesome kids and full of so much joy and excitement. They are so inspiring and inspire me every week on how amazingly content and happy they are when they have next to nothing materially. They always love the coloring sheets we bring and always make them extremely colorful, although for some reason it doesn't show up in my pictures at all.



The following pictures were taken by these two girls. They loved seeing the pictures in the camera and taking pictures of what ever was in front of the camera. They took about 100 pictures, I'll put some of the better ones up.










 They didn't always get full faces into the pictures haha.

I love what I do.



No comments:

Post a Comment